What is Smartlipo?
Smartlipo is a state-of-the-art technology designed exclusively to perform laser-assisted lipolysis, commonly referred to as laser liposuction. Under local anesthesia a very thin tube containing the Smartlipo laser fiber is inserted in targeted fatty areas through a small port approximately about 2mm. The fiber optic laser delivers heat energy directly to fat cells and disrupts the fatty tissue for easy removal. The laser literally melts the fat, which is removed with gentle suction. At the same time, skin/tissue around the area tightens through coagulation, contributing to a smoother shape overall.
Here’s How It Works…
• Local anesthesia is used (you’re awake during the procedure)
• A tiny port is made, about the size of the tip of a pen
• The Smartlipo laser fiber is inserted through a very small tube into your body
• The laser ruptures the fat cell membranes
• The fat cells are permanently destroyed
• The liquefied fat is gently suctioned out
• New collagen is produced resulting in coagulation of skin, resulting in tightening
Typically, only one treatment is required dependent on the number of areas to be treated. Results may vary, but usually can be seen within a week, with continued improvement over three to six months.
The best candidates for Smartlipo are women and men who are not significantly overweight but have accumulated fat deposits—such as love handles, flabby upper arms, excess neck or lower facial fat, abdomen, thighs, buttocks, male breasts (gynecomastia), knees A consultation with the doctor can provide you with the best information.
Smartlipo is ideal for the neck, jaw line, arms, bra fat, “love handles”, post-pregnancy skin laxity, saddlebags, knees, thighs, abdomen and enlarged male breasts known as gynecomastia. Smartlipo is also effective for the permanent treatment of hyperhydrosis or excessive sweating from the underarms.
Because the area is anesthetized, there is minimal discomfort during the procedure. You may feel a light pressure but it is a mild sensation. Following Smartlipo, you may experience some aches, much like after a physical workout. A compression garment may be worn for a short period after treatment, depending on the body area treated and the recommendation of your physician.
On average, the procedure will take 2 – 5 hours. This is dependent on the number of areas to be treated and the size of the areas. It is important to note that at ibody only one client is scheduled for Smartlipo per day to obtain excellent outcomes with meticulous attention to detail by the medical team of Dr. Roberto Tostado and Teresa Tostado NP.
No. Smartlipo is an in-office procedure performed under local anesthesia.
For most patients, results are achieved in just one Smartlipo treatment. Results can be seen within a week, with continued improvement over three to six months.
Smartlipo permanently destroys fat cells in the treated area. However, it is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen to enjoy long-lasting results.
The incision site will be very small. With proper care, any scars will be barely noticeable. Your physician is best to evaluate your skin type and provide you information.
Laser Body Sculpting is a minimally invasive procedure which requires only local anesthesia. Some light bruising can occur, but you’ll be able to return to normal activities within a day or two. Exercise may be resumed 1-2 weeks after the procedure
- Rest of at least 2 days recommended
- Take the medication as indicated
- There should be minimal to moderate discomfort. Such discomfort may be relieved by using ice packs or taking acetaminophen
- There may be drainage from your incisions. This is normal and may last for 1 – 2 days. You may place sponges inside your compression garment to absorb any drainage.
- Wearing a compression garment is recommended. Keep garment on for 24 hours a day, 7 days for one week. Continue to wear the garment for one additional week at bedtime or per your physician’s orders.
- Do not engage in vigorous exercise or sports for at least 2 weeks or until approved by your physician.
- Apply antibiotic treatment the incision twice daily using a cotton swab. Cover the incision with Band-Aid for 7 days.
- Please see us the day after your procedure in order to follow-up on your progress and schedule another appointment for a 1 week post-op visit.
- It is normal to have persistent swelling that may last for several weeks. Hardened areas on post-procedure site may also be present. These hardened areas are due to the disturbance of the lymphatic drainage system and are normal during the period of recovery. However, if any of the following symptoms are present then please immediately contact us:1. ANY FEVER2. EXTREME PERSISTENT PAIN (soreness and minimal to moderate discomfort are normal)
3. ANY EXCESSIVE BLEEDING (blood-tinged drainage is normal for the first 24-48 hours)
4. ANY DRAINAGE (from port sites after 48 hours)
Before and After Photos
Click here for more before and after photos.
The attention that I received at ibody and the results from my Smartlipo were absolutely the best. I was able to fit into jeans that I had not worn in 10 years and my friends and coworkers have all noticed my new body. The work of Dr Tostado and his wife is meticulous and done with the utmost care. I highly value the people and service at ibody. E.R.
It is amazing how young I look and feel again after having Smartlipo done on my neck at ibody to get rid of my double chin that I had for years. People tell me how good I look thinking I lost weight and I just smile. L.C.
I met Dr Tostado and his wife Teresa Tostado NP during my Smartlipo consult and was impressed by their attention to me and my concerns about my body which translated to the focus and attention I received in the treatment room for my Smartlipo. The results were great and I would definitely recommend anyone to have their Smartlipo at ibody T.M.
I can’t remember having a neck for years and now I look in the mirror and see a new better me. It’s incredible that taking out a little fat can bring back my youth and give me so much confidence. I couldn’t believe how comfortable the Smartlipo was and how good the results would be. Thank you ibody! P.S.
I live in Alaska and learned about ibody from my son who lives in Los Angeles. I was able to speak to the staff about Smartlipo and felt good about doing my treatment their. The husband and wife medical team really care about your results and work very hard to give you the best results. It was worth flying to California to have my Smartlipo at ibody and I’m thinking of having more done when I’m in the area. T.S.
Dr. Roberto Tostado is the founder of ibody which is innovative science for the body. He has over 19 years of medical practice and has been exclusively practicing aesthetic medicine in Pasadena, South Pasadena and now San Marino, California. He is part of a new breed of innovative physicians practicing non-surgical cosmetic medicine He graduated from the University of Michigan Medical School and holds his undergraduate degree from the Ivy League institution of Columbia University. His extensive training in aesthetic medicine integrates knowledge and the newest technology available from various parts of the globe.